Jul 7, 2015

FROM THE VAULT: THE SETUP

tool of the trade
in the last few months, i've noticed that i spend a lot of time consuming content - that is, watching, reading and liking various things on social media and the internet.  we are a generation that has access to information at our fingertips at all times of the day.  inspiring, sad, funny, time-wasting, and at times even thought-provoking, the information we have readily available allows us to entertain ourselves anytime, anywhere, anyplace.

but in this phase of consuming content, i realize that i probably spend too much time consuming it rather than creating it.  as many of you know, i have a passion for photography and i do create images on a regular basis. i post mainly on instagram but those are only the snapshots i've taken with my iphone.  the posts i have shared on my blog are mostly work i have been commissioned to do and share with current and future clients.  i know i have the ability to create content but until now, i've kept a lot of it closely guarded for reasons i won't get into right now.

after a computer incident that almost wiped out some of my images forever, i realized that i want to share my photography and in doing so contributing to the creation of content - be a part of the community that inspires and entertains people (like me) who like to consume said content. thankfully, i have been able to recover most of my photos and have been ale to revisit some really amazing times in my life by looking back at some of the images.

and with that, i would like to announce a new feature on this blog which will hopefully be a regular staple that many of you might take interest in.  i will be calling it "FROM THE VAULT" (aka FTV) and will essentially be submissions of my photography (both personal and client work) that will feature an image from my collection of tens of thousands of images that has had some sort of impact on me.  i will share a story about the image which might provide some insight how my mind works (faults and all) and may detail some technical aspects as well.  it'll be free form and unstructured, with the chosen image as the central figure.  don't expect all the images to be nat geo-vanity fair type photography - this is strictly a personal project that lets me relive my past and journal the experiences (both good and bad) that have led me to this point.

i've always believed that images are intended to tell a story.  they are a snapshot of time frozen forever and have a story leading up to it and a fallout after it.  that is what has always fascinated me about photography ever since i was a kid and even more so today.  in looking through my libraries of images, i can honestly say i have thousands of stories to tell and sharing them with you brings them to life again.  i'm just a guy with a camera and words...and these are the things that help remind me that i've lived on this world and not just existed.

de jesus. here to share, not to scare.