Jan 3, 2011

THE TOP 10 of 2010

Here's a rundown of the top ten things I learned this past year (in no particular order):
10. red bull is delicious. being able to down 8 in one sitting is a bit concerning, but I've acquired a nice taste for the energy drink. thankfully, during the latter part of the year i came to my senses and have realized that like a lot of awesome things, it is unhealthy for me and i only enjoy one with the occasional vodka chaser.

9. i don't like half assing anything. this might be a good thing, but it's also a bad thing. when it comes to something i'm really passionate about, i dedicate so much time to it and study it and learn it like a man possessed. so why is that bad? i'm still not an expert at anything.....yet.

8. without bad luck, there would be no luck at all.

7. not having a PVR would be just ridiculous. being able to rewind, pause and fast forward my way through my tv experience is just so awesome. no more queen latifah promos, more tina fey and rewinding my way to see onrait and o'toole's comedic skits again and again is priceless. if only we could PVR our way through life...and if only I could be an up and coming architect married to kate beckinsale and on a random night i went to bed bath and beyond and met with christopher walken...

6. you can't take the simple joys in life for granted. i've been fortunate enough to see and do some great things this year, but i seem to remember the simpler moments a lot more. playing toy cars with a 4 year old for an evening brought me more joy than spending an evening in a fancy restaurant in a new city. talking with a close friend helped me reset myself better than spending money on myself for "retail therapy". golfing with buddies at a muni course here at home is way better than golfing by myself at a destination PGA course somewhere else.

5. speaking of retail therapy, i'm an apple whore. no doubt about it anymore. powerbook, imac, iphone4, appleTV, fuji and gala. there is no such thing as a bad apple. ipad, you are next.

4. i have replaced my love of carbs (white rice) for another form: noodles. pad thai noodles, vietnamese noodles, soup noodles...now if only i can replace these with a love for beans and legumes, i might be alright.

3. missing something can make you feel just as alive as enjoying it - it's just a different kind.

2. i'm tech-spoiled. having fast and readily available wi-fi means more to me than having breakfast. i like having information and all my digital "stuff" at my fingertips all the time, 24/7 wherever I am in the world (see 5). but i try to balance that "spoiled-ness" by willingly taking public transit to work. ugh - public transit...dennis dislikes this.

1. my photography has gotten better as the year wore on. it's definitely far from perfect, but i have learned a lot about technique, emotion and how to take more compelling images from my experiences in 2010. i guess practice doesn't make perfect, but it does help get you closer. Maybe You Like Closer?



de jesus 2010. out.